Monday, February 4, 2008

New York Mets - Deal for Johan Santana Is Finalized








On February 2, 2008, the New York Mets finalized the deal for Johan Santana. The original deadline for the trade to go through was Friday February 1, 2008 at 5 P.M but they got an extension which was very important. At 5 P.M, the Mets were about 5 million dollars off from what Santana wanted but they got a 2 hour extension and they were able to finalize the trade. Johan got a 6 year 137.5 million dollar contract extension with the Mets and has an option for the 7th year which can total 157 million dollars. This contract broke all the money records for a pitcher but I still believe that Santana will be worth every penny. I got very worried when the Mets did not sign him right away and I am sure many other Met fans were nervous as well. The New York Mets almost let a big time pitcher walk away and that could have been a huge mistake. All I can say is that I am glad they got everything under control and I am really looking forward to see Johan pitch as a Met for the next 6 or 7 years. The Mets have now turned into the team to beat in the National League and I believe they will at least make the World Series.

No comments: